We hope you are aware that the 2019/20 season has been cancelled. KMHA and its board of directors are working diligently to get answers for our participants and volunteers. Here is a list of Frequently asked questions and the responses the we have at this moment. We will be updating this FAQ as we get answers. We will post here the date of the most recent edit:
March 14, 2020 10:00pm
March 16, 2020 5:40pm
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Whose decision was it to cancel the season? The 2019/2020 season was cancelled by Hockey Canada in conversation with all of it’s Provincial Partners and in consultation with Canadian Public Health Professionals. The decision was unanimous across the provincial partners.
2. How did they make the decision to cancel the season? Hockey Canada worked with its Provincial Partners as well as consulted with Sport Canada, Canadian Health Officials, and the Federal Government and then conducted a vote of all Provincial Partners to make the decision. The vote was unanimous.
3. Why was the Season canceled? The season was cancelled to support the Health and well being of all Hockey Canada Stakeholders as well as the general health benefits of the Canadian people. The following article explains some of the reasons that public health has indicated for the creation of “Social Distancing”. This article is American but does reflect the same comments made in Canada. https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation
4. What exactly has been cancelled? All Hockey activities. Teams are no longer permitted to participate in the following activities and as such all insurance has been removed for these activities.
Cancellation includes: Practices, games, team parties/socials, tournaments, championships, dryland, It also includes any team purchased practices and events/team builders. (If you have a question about other activities please call 519-741-6292 and ask Rolland Cyr our General Manager)
5. Can we purchase our own ice and still practice? There are no team activities allowed as there is no insurance.
6. Will refunds/rebates be given to families for the remaining portion of the 2019/20 Season?
A: KMHA and it’s Board of directors are currently considering compensation for the remaining portion of the season. This decision may take some time, but we will issue an update on our website as soon as we know. This decision is not straight forward as we are currently negotiating a release from season commitments such as ice contracts, and other purchase agreements.
B: Teams that have booked ice from KMHA that has been cancelled will not be invoiced by KMHA for this ice.
C: Teams that have booked ice from the City of Kitchener that they are no longer able to use will need to negotiate their release from this commitment with the City of Kitchener.
D: Teams that have registered in non championship away tournaments between the start of the cancellation and the end of the season will be required to work with the tournament they registered for to obtain a refund. Should a refund be issued to KMHA as opposed to the team we will redirect the funds back to the team in question.
E: Select championships that are part of the select fee, are being considered in KMHA’s discussion regarding refunds/rebates. Further updates will be posted.
7. Will the 19/20 season or Championships resume? No, Hockey Canada has cancelled all sanctions therefore our players and bench staff are not insured. This includes all levels of Minor Hockey both male and female. They have been very clear they will not be awarding championships this season.
8. Are teams permitted to have team parties and events? No, Hockey Canada has cancelled all sanctions therefore our players and bench staff are not insured.
9. a) Will there be tryouts in the Spring? Updated At this time, All spring tryouts are cancelled, and refunds for those that registered are forth coming. KMHA awaits further clarification from the OHF and Hockey Canada, on when programming will continue. Tryout pages on the website have been The website will be updated accordingly. Please check our website www.kitchenerminorhockey.com
b) Why are you offering a refund? KMHA was unsure of timing for tryouts, and felt our users deserved the right to make a decision once they saw the timing of any new tryouts.
10. Will there be Spring 4on4 league? Updated At this time, KMHA is waiting to find out when we will be able to start up again. Any registrants looking for a refund due to COVID 19 can request one .Please check back here for updates on the 4on4 program.
11. Will there be a refund/rebate offered for 4on4 if it is cancelled? Updated KMHA is examining several options regarding the 4on4 program. Should you wish to request a refund now due to COVID 19 you may do so. We would really like to offer this opportunity, but we are waiting on replies from Hockey Canada and the OHF regarding when we can restart programming. Should the program dates or other factors require us to cancel entirely we will compensate the people that registered.
12. Where can I find more information regarding this cancellation or Covid 19? How can I get more information? Through our Members Partners and Health Canada at these links.
13. Will KMHA hold it’s volunteer Dance? At this time the Volunteer dance is suspended until we are permitted to return to operations. Should the suspension of Hockey Activities be sustained KMHA will revisit the decision and possibly cancel. Large public gatherings are currently not an accepted practice, and we wish to adhere to those standards but also wish to thank our volunteers for their tremendous service and countless hours. We will keep you posted.
14. Is KMHA’s Night of Champions cancelled? Yes. As no championships are being awarded this night will be cancelled as directed by Hockey Canada.
15. Will the KMHA office hours be affected? Updated Yes. To Fall in line with Hockey Canada, Alliance Hockey and other organisations KMHA will be closing its public facing office. We will be working and available to answer phones as well as e-mails. We strongly encourage those with questions to contact the KMHA office by telephone or through e-mails. Office number is 519-579-2229, and follow the prompts. Or you can e-mail the individual you need. Contacts for staff and board are available here. You can email these contacts by clicking on the mail icon in each contact. https://kitchenerminorhockey.com/Staff/1457/ .
Please send other questions to [email protected]